The project proposed liningof water channels which would benefit almost 500 households additional land would be brought under irrigation. Water theft and disputes among the community would also decrease. By irrigating 500 acres of land, agriculture production and income of farmers would increase by 100% which would improve their living standards and enable them to send their children to school and meet other family needs.
NEED/JUSTIFICATION OF THE PROJECT:
The proposed project will be implemented in Frontier Region (FR)……….., Federally Administered Tribal Area. FR is geographically located in the southern part of and administered by Assistant Political Agent who is indirectly responsible to Governor KPK and…………through District Coordination Officer (DCO) and Tehsil is in westward of FR and adjacent to North Waziristan and South Waziristan Agencies.
The estimated population of village is 700 households (5,600 people). The main source of livelihood of the targeted community is agriculture and total cultivable land available is 700 acres. The farmers are entirely dependent on river for irrigating their lands; however over the years its flow has remained inconsistent, which has negatively affected the agriculture in the area. Moreover, the use of katcha (unlined) water courses also leads to significant seepage and even the available water is not properly utilized. The people are keen to increase productivity and income from their agricultural lands but in the absence of pakka (lined) irrigation channels are constrained to do so. Currently the farmers cultivate wheat, maize, rice, vegetable; sugarcane etc. and the average value of the agricultural produce are about PKR. 12,000 per annum per acre which is very low by local standards.
The water is just enough to irrigate 400 acres of land. Presently, it takes 8 hours for each farmer to irrigate one acre land. The unlined channels also require frequent maintenance, which involves the effort of almost all family members. Moreover, due to unlined water channels, 40% – 55 % water gets wasted in the mid and 70% at the tail. This encourages water theft which gives birth to disputes among the inhabitants. Due to the lack of proper water control structure on irrigation channels, in rainy season the flood water erodes the heads of the land which also causes disputes among the community. The Government line department’s do not have the resources to line/ improve these channels and farmers themselves are financially too weak to undertake it on their own, Located in a very volatile region, the people of the area need assistance to revive their livelihoods.
The organization has proposed lining/ improvement of 1,813 meters of water channels which would benefit almost 500 households including settlements of XXXXXXXX. 100 acres additional land would be brought under irrigation. Water theft and disputes among the community would also decrease. By irrigating 500 acres of land, agriculture production and income of farmers would increase by 100% which would improve their living standards and enable them to send their children to school and meet other family needs.
Project Duration: Five Months
Project Location (District//Union Council): XXXXXXX
- To increase irrigation efficiency for existing cultivable land as well as bringing more land under cultivation through lining of 1,813 meters water channel.
- To improve agricultural productivity as a major source of income and food security.
Please give detailed implementation strategy (with special focus on community involvement, need identification, role of other stakeholders, identification of project beneficiaries, procurement of goods and services etc.) as how the project will achieve its objectives (Please use additional space/pages if needed).
- Hiring and Orientation of Staff:
- A Project Engineer (Civil), a Field Officer (Male), Finance Manager, Procurement Officer, M&E Officer and Office Assistant will be hired for the project. The project staff will be oriented on the project scope, objectives and activities planned. The salaries of Project Engineer and Field Officer will be charged to whereas the Finance Manager, Procurement Officer, M&E Officer and Office Assistant salary will be paid by the organization. The recruitment process will be done through head hunting in order to save time and money.
- Formation of Project Management Committee:
- Committee for project management will be form which will be responsible for the overall management and implementation of the project. This committee will be comprised of 5 members (2 from Organization, 2 farmers and 01 elder from the community)
- Formation of Monitoring Committee:
- Monitoring committee of three members will be formed one each from, farmers and CBO. They will monitor the civil work
- Formation of Procurement Committee:
- To ensure maximum transparency in the utilization of funds, a Procurement Committee (PC) will be formed. This committee will comprise of one each member from the (Procurement Officer), community and CBO. Most of the material will be purchased from the local market (if available), otherwise the nearest markets will be explored. All purchases above PKR 5,000 will be done through a competitive process by seeking at least three quotations. The vendors will be selected on the basis of their rates and quality of material.
- Community Participation:
- Preference will be given to local available skilled and unskilled labor. Where inevitable, it would be hired from nearby places.
- Payment Process:
- All payments will be made through the office of XXXXX. The Finance Manager will be responsible to prepare all necessary documents for payments and disburse the amount either through cheque or through cash, according to the nature of the payment. For dealing with day to day minor purchases and other financial matters, an amount of Rs. 10,000 will be allocated as petty cash and that will be utilized according to the organization’s financial policy.
- Sustainability of the Project:
- The recurring cost of the project will be met by the community themselves. Each farmer would contribute per acre per annum as maintenance charges. In this regard will give guidance and will form 04 members Operations and Maintenance Committee from the community. This committee will be responsible for collection of money from the community as per above mentioned rate and schedule. The collected money will be deposited in the account of XXXXXX. The farmers/community will inform the Operations and Maintenance Committee about the need of repair of the channel and the Operations and Maintenance Committee will in turn request for release of fund for repair of the channel. In this way the channel will remain functional in the future. It is expected that will be collected from the 500 households/ beneficiaries per annum to meet any emergency needs.
- Please provide NOCs/permission/other relevant documents if required from the concerned authorities to carry out proposed activity.
- Civil Works/Infrastructure: In case proposed project involves civil works, please attach designs, Bill of Quantity and cost estimates.
- It is purely civil work and the proposed designs, Bill of Quantity have been attached in Excel sheet.
MONITORING OF THE PROJECT ACTIVITIES:
Please provide details what methods and tools your organization will use for operational transparency and timely implementation of project activities while maintaining quality?
- Sampled baseline survey to serve as benchmark for evaluating the output and outcome.
- Regular visit of ongoing activities by team and progress of the work will be checked against the work plan and progress of work and its timeline will be compared. Team will provide feedback and recommendation not only about the pace of work but will also have eyes on whether the activities are fulfilling the indicators developed for it or not.
- Participatory monitoring of activities will be undertaken which will include staff, village committee members and agriculture expert.
- Proper reporting and documentation of the grant activities will be done
- Generating of different types of reports as per and donor requirements
(What are the numbers of beneficiaries for the proposed project? Please provide number of men, women, children (boys & girls) separately where possible)
Poor and marginalized community in general and women and children in particular are the main beneficiaries of project.
- Total population of the proposed project area: The area comprises 700 households having total population of 5600.
- Exact locations (in terms of villages/Union Councils) of the proposed project area: Village XXXXXX, FR ,
- An estimated number of population benefiting from the proposed project 500 household: 4000
- An estimated number of direct and indirect beneficiaries of the proposed project: 4000
Itemized Budget Details of the Proposed Project (Pak. Rupees): Please specify each activity, total estimated cost and cost share. Please carefully read the instructions before budget preparations.
Instructions for Budget Preparation:
- Provide detailed breakdown of budget and do not give a lump-sum budget.
- Provide a breakdown of how the cost share of 25% will be provided (in cash or kind or both)
- Provide detailed breakdown of the project activities as mentioned in the project proposal and provide budget for each activity separately.
- The will fund only the direct project activities cost relating to direct delivery of goods and services to beneficiaries.
- Unrelated Organizational overheads, administrative/supervision costs and profit will not be funded by .
- The assumes that grant applicants will already be in operation and have adequate staff and most of the capacity required to deliver goods and services under the proposed project.
- In some cases, salaries, travel, equipment and operating expenses such as rent etc. may be permitted, where justified, as direct project implementation costs. However salaries, benefits, and travel and per diem rates should be consistent not only with the organization’s overall policies covering these items but also with local norms.
- The budget should be in Pakistani Rupees,
- Use additional sheets for detailed budget while strictly following this template.
- Please provide budget narratives where required